Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Diddle Diddle Dumpling



A mother's words to a typical boy child!
No origins in history can be found, it is merely a nonsense rhyme, probably
made popular and handed down from generation to generation
owing to the popularity of the name John (Diddle Diddle Dumpling my son John).
It is an interesting fact that this is the only old rhyme that uses the name John - all of the older poems use the colloquialism for John i.e. Jack.

Poem - Diddle Diddle Dumpling
My son John,

Went to bed with his trousers on;
One shoe off, and one shoe on,
Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John!


A bit of an oblique opening.
But, yes, the baby finally arrived, exactly one week late and aftera little persuasion from the mid-wife and an epidural for mum, who says, despite the help from the anaesthetists, that it was still very painful and if there is a next time she'll opt for a caesarian .

He is notreally a 'John' either- but I can't think of any appropriate nursery rhymes for Alexander, and Jonathan is his second name after my other son, his uncle, Jon.

The facts are:
Name: Alexander Jonathan
Born: 6.00pm, Saturday, 10th of December
Weight: just under 9lbs

It was a very pleasant day with slanting light of watery winter sunshine,which still made the stone of the cottages glow golden . We took a long walk with Edward, the dog, to ease the waiting. We ate at the Bull's Head, Ashover
Somewhere I can highly recommend for those who like good food in a real pub.

Bull's Head A fine old coaching Inn, situated in the centre of the village, with roses round the door and seats outside. Open for food every lunchtime and all evenings apart from Thursdays. (Tel. 01629 812931)

He and his mum came out of hospital on the Sunday lunchtime and I had my first cuddle at about 3.30 pm that day. His other granny brought a lovely celebration meal of smoked salmon, followed by chicken and avocado bake with a green salad, accompanied by champagne.

We sat around (all that is except mum who was feeling sore so paced about ) and adored him.
Further connection to the nursery rhyme s through the little knitted shoes he wore to bed and was already kicking off..

I hadn't realised how many different kinds of shoes you can find for babies. Shoes from companies with lovely names like : pitter patter; daisy roots, star child and shoo shoos. (These pics are for you, Katie)
So as usual blogging brings out the shopping urge which I am just managing to control.

Also must resist the temptation to keep going back to visit unannounced, until Ifind myself , parked in the mini, waiting outside under their window- very sad case.
Can just see headlines :

Granny Arrested for Stalking.

Old Biddy ound lurking outside home demanding to hold grandson

So, sadly, I promised them , no pictures of the new three-piece family- but believe me the baby is well to the jay bad, cute ( See Dr Rob's cool poem)

Oh and he can call me Nanny Lainey- but I'm still Digigran to you.


Comments:
Wrong posting for Dr Rob
Should be
http://docrob.blogspot.com/2005/11/poem-for-simply-clare-and-dr-joolz.html#comments.
Sorry
I'm just a baby in blogger terms
 
This is such a sweet post diggran. I love the babies' shoes. I love the babies' clothes.
Do you really sit outside in your mini?
We could plan a kidnap.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?