Monday, January 23, 2006

 

Worried Well





Pediculosis Capitas


The Head Louse
or
Nit
as we call them in our profession.



Worried Well
This is an expression I have adopted from my husband who says that people who worry about being unwell occupy a good deal of many doctors' time. Not that he thinks the sufferers do not need help - only that there are increasingly more and more things about health we worry about (as well as the work-related stuff and guilt complexes of things left undone like our BLOGs for example).

He is currently writing about patients who believe they have been infested by some kind of unseen creepy crawly. The posh term is Delusions of Parasitosis (For those who have such fears see THIS).
I went to NATE Conference this weekend and bought him a simplified version of real infestation called I' ve Got Nits ( See picture and scroll down for details of content).


I told a retired GP in the village about my husband's writing and he then told me he had once knelt in the living room of a patient in Belper watching her bang the back of a settee to show him the myriads of parasites living there. These, she said, were jumping all over her at night, as she watched TV and causing a horrible itchiness. As she banged, hosts of dust motes floated high into the air and she cried gleefully, "Look, look, they are everywhere!". He then, he said, found himself kneeling beside her, banging the top of said settee, trying to prove that it was only dust! He should, of course, have referred her to see my husband, who knows how to listen gently and sensibly to patients, getting themto explore their anxieties and let loose their fears, etc. However, that takes up a good deal of NHS time and money so I guess sitting and banging a settee together might give some sort of comfort. She was not, as you may imagine, disabused of her illusion though.

More stories of nits
I also once worked with a class on poems about headlice with a wonderful teacher called Stuart Harrison , one of the most creative people I have had the pleasure to know. He use a microscope o attached to a classroom computer to take images of nits combed from a child's hair which looked like the first picture on this BLOG. (Bear with me, dear reader, if you exist, I cannot yet place my pictures where I want them in the text.) I then wrote thin poems with them and we made them into ppts. I wish I knew how to attach the PPT. presentation, so you could see exactly what these Y6 children achieved. I must get a lesson from DR Joolz and post it later.
Meanwhile here is a sample from the boys:


Head lice crawl around your head,
Without you even knowing.
They are blood-sucking lobsters,
Feeding on your blood to stay alive.
Some times they make you itch and scratch,
And some times make you shiver.
They look like space monsters,
Waiting to pounce on passing planets.
Head lice are like tiny transparent ants,
Scrambling from head to head.
Laying their eggs wherever they go,
Being swept away by passing comets.
and now the girls:

It is a transparent oval
Blood trickling through its body.
Long waving tentacles
Swaying side to side.
The thought of it living in my hair
Makes me shiver and my teeth start to quiver.
Its claws are like crab’s pincers
Digging into my head.
It is a space monster searching
Through your hair
It’s lost in the space of each hair
My head is like an obstacle race
It has to win.
It moves wobbling along my hair
A tight – ropewalker
A circus act
It can balance on one strand of hair and hardly fall off.

This was their Literacy hour work on metphors and similes- they thought it was learning about lice!

So why am I burbling on like this?

No I have not got

NITS

Nor do i feel unwell, but I am well and worried or perhaps just well-worried. You see, I may be invited to do what I consider to be a very important National job in the near future, where I will want to appear as perspicacious and wise as I can possibly be and because I will be represnting others, aslso have a little gravitas. Can I still then hang on to a digigran identity? Do I need to kill this BLOG?

The thought seems a 'horrible

imagining' . ( see Macbeth's thoughts when contemplating killing Duncan) I suppose I could just delete the message from my email and then no one would know about this except perhaps for the good Drs Joolz and Kate and a few intimate friends....but This is for Alexander, the digibaby,who I am visiting today and who I want to be able to read these pages at a later date and be proud of his NAN.

These worries are like a little infestation, making me want to scratch my head-- to follow through my metaphors

Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma

Please advise.

Worried but Well-Pleased with herself

Digigran.

Off to see a Cock and Bull Story here tonight. Perhaps it will impove my narrative stylea nd help me stick to the point. At least it should be more cheerful than Saraband (which is brilliant, but oh so very depressing a narrative for the silver blogger)




Comments:
THis is very apposite post as I de-nitted molly this morning and I am vaguely de-nitting myself as I work.
Molly has them all the time but it is quite nice watching morning TV and slowly de-nitting her.
She is down to the tiny ones now and Molly, who regards her nits as a lesser form of hamster, regards them as baby nits and we have to gently tip them into the sink so they have another life.
Oh dear, this is horrible really insnt it.
 
I think it is important to be a fully rounded person so keep blogging and Be Wise!
 
Yes, That's reallygood advice Kate- and yet I will need to be so careful about any stuff I publish in future. For example look at all the typos I make. Am I on the level of an eleven year old like the twelve million workers with Level one Key Skills who the government is worrying about?. Will eventually everybody KNOW I make typos?

Re the lice
The picturenit book has really good advice. Apparently wet combing with conditioner makes the real ones slide OFF.
Does Molly like the poems?
E
 
This is such a splendid post. it is very informative and I love the story of the GP banging on the back of the sofa I really feel you should blog more regularly digigran. These stories are very amusing.
I also think DrKate is a wonderful mother. She says she is not but she is. She is so laid back which is excellent.
Molly also sound lovely lovely.
It is nice to hear family stories, if a little parasitic (link back.)
 
Also I think DrDigigran's husband sounds like a wonderful dr and very kind. I would like hom as the dr for my darling daughter who now refuses to go anywhere near our GP who last time shouted at her 'What have you got to be depressed about?'
Quite comical in its way, I suppse.
 
This makes me very angry Dr Joolz about the doctor I mean. I hate doctors since they mis-diagnosed Barney when I took him for the third time with fever and not sleeping and they said he was teething and 2 days later he had a cardiac arrest in casualty.
Horrors.
Digigran, you have been tagged with the Four things meme.
See my blog. x (Sorry to give you that awful story but he's fine now, very healthy in fact)
 
That is awful that Barney was misdiagnosed like that. I think it must be awfully hard being a doctor though. (A proper doctor I mean. It is easy being DrJoolz of course.)
One of the reasons why lots of people who have ME criticise doctors is that the illness itself is elusive and difficult and so the docs can't do anything. And I think that makes some of the docs feel inadequate. And then they don't like to see patients they cannot cure. So there is quite a lot of mistrust between patient and doc.
 
Dr Joolz you are right ofcourse and my friend Christian who has secondaries in lots of places has a brilliant doctor who said YOU ARE ON A WINNING COMBINATION.
and she is doing v. v. well.
Hurrah!
 
My dear friends, you are right on all counts. It is shocking when a mistake is made in medicine- but we all make mistakes and what courage one human being needs to interfere so radically in the life of another, especially when surgery is involved.
How hard it is for doctors. I have now watched three young men ( one forty years ago) give up the time of their lives when others were free to travel to dance and drink and have odd irresponsible jobs to study and examinations and long hours on the wards. I don't know what the answer is to those of them who make thoughtless comments or bad judgements. I just know, from my experience that they all try their best under trying conditions of service. Sorry for being so pious
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?